Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Stephelle’s Kitchen: ABCongee

What is the difference between congee and porridge?

via My Savoury Life

porridge includes oatmeal or cereals

cooked to a thick consistency in water or milk,

it does not involve any meat at all. 

 

congee is commonly known as

rice porridge, and

is cooked with vegetables, meat etc.

White rice is boiled with lots of water for

a long time until the rice breaks down and

becomes a fairly viscous white porridge

known as congee.

 


my staple food:

Aloo a.k.a. potato

Broccoli

Carrot

 

my non-so staple food:

rice

 

cooked white porridge for lunch

and then it happened that

I forgot when was the last time I actually

cooked and ate rice

even lost the estimation of serving size

 

and it turned out to be

no.. this wasn’t rice that I am cooking

look can be deceiving

on the verge of flowing out

 

therefore decided to have congee for dinner

using a new method

instead of throwing everything into the pan

like I always did

 

I cooked the vegetables broth

veggie broth

 

and then just poured it over the

hot porridge

and here you are

vegetables congee

veggies congee

 

it saves loads trouble

I hate washing pan with rice residue

and this one is like waste-zero

 

and it tastes better

every ingredient is cooked

according to its own timing 

 

when I used to cook everything together

it always ended up either as a sticky patch

or undercooked potato and carrot  

 

and definitely more presentable

the previous versions of congee I used to make

the brown rice was undercookedwhat is huge chunk of celery doing in congee?fragrance of mushroom in congee

 

and this one

probably it is due to the fact that

I took my time to cut the veggies into mini cubes

veggies congee

 

wait a minute

basically this is how restaurant makes congee as well

especially the specialty store

where they serve them in 101 flavours

No comments:

Post a Comment