Thursday, February 3, 2011

Mum’s Kitchen Special Edition: CNY Reunion Lunch

it isn’t a very correct word to use, maybe

reunion

it’s just us, my sister’s family and grandpa

seven adults and a child

but still symbolize reunion

with everyone getting together for a proper lunch

 

and yeah, it’s lunch

I have never had any reunion dinner in my life

it’s always lunch

since ancestral worshipping is always done in the afternoon

 

then at night

just a quiet dinner of me, mom and dad

I didn’t even stay up till midnight

fell asleep, folding clothes

woke up somewhere in the middle

asking, Is Khalil Fong singing on TV yet?

no…

fine.. fell back to sleep

all the way till this morning

 

earlier on

I heard from a TV show

children are supposed to stay up

during CNY eve

wishing for the longevity of our parents

oh no.. what a sleepy head

my parents stayed up later than me

and dad was saying

Khalil Fong’s singing is the worst among the three!!

 

btw

it’s already on Youtube

Khalil Fong X Jam Hsiao X Li Jian

CCTV CNY showcase live

the most prominent show throughout the year in China

non-China-origins artists take pride of

being invited to perform on the show

 

新势力歌组合—方大同、李健、萧敬腾

中央电视台2011年春节联欢晚会

 

back to our reunion lunch

I didn’t take part in the cooking

as if I am always playing an important role

went back to office

by the time I was home

everything was already served

on the ancestral table

 

we don’t really prepare any CNY dishes

the few “must-have”s for ancestral worshipping were there

these were what my grandma prepared for worshipping

so just inherit the exact menu

now served to her and my great-grandparents

they used to serve wine too

but now already been replaced with normal chinese tea

dishes for ancestral worshipping

 

Pigbag X Fish Mew Pepper soupFried NoodlesYam is a must, nobody is eating though, except meStewed Chicken Clawsteamed pomfretRoasted ChickenCurry Chickenmixed vegetables

 

Non Halal section

all homemade still

Char Siu a.k.a BBQ PorkRoasted PorkPork X Fish Spring Roll

 

done!!

although I don’t really eat meat

that’s a saying pretty true

about chinese cuisine

Chinese cuisine is really artful

from steam, stew,

stir fry to deep fry

it’s not easy to prepare a full meal, really

time for reunion lunch!!

 

on top of that

all the significance of different ingredients

eg,

fish that symbolizes surpluses carried forward

lettuce that symbolizes liveliness and prosperity

 

one thing to take note

beware not to spam your food

you are what you eat

remember to keep fit

Spongebob Square Pants Vs Food

 

last but not least

Happy Chinese New Year, folk

Rabbit Year CNY greating

1 comment:

  1. I'm no longer positive the place you're getting your info, but good topic.
    I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more.

    Thanks for fantastic information I used to be in search of this
    info for my mission.

    Feel free to surf to my site - cellulite treatment cream

    ReplyDelete